Well, not really. You can think of it like this;
On one side you have Black Friday, known for it’s linear consumption & shopping hysteria. On the other side we have “Buy nothing day”, that was born as a anti-dote to Black Friday.
We believe the future is right in between these two poles, right on the border between Yin & Yang. Here you find circular consumption, which means that you can consume as much as you want, but it doesn’t require new resources from Mother Earth. With other words, circular consumption is dao, you follow?
1. Rent & share: Before internet was invented, CD’s had to be produced and shipped all over the world for people to listen to music. Now, people can stream and listen without any production or shipping required. In the same way as streaming, you can rent cars, bikes, hammer drills, boats - without having to possess it.
2. Repair & upcycle: When you got a flat tire on your bike, do you repair it or buy a completely new bike? That’s right, repair. Let’s do the same with electronics & clothes aswell - and demand repair services from the big players we buy products from.
3. Reuse & recycle: When you buy something used, aka. second hand, you reuse. Some things is more socially acceptable than other to reuse. Like an old apartment, that's quite normal. Underwear - nah! But we can reuse waay more clothes, electronics and other stuff than we do.
Also, when you recycle a plastic bottle, the material circulates and can be used for "new" products. That's a more subtle form of second-hand.
Circular Monday was founded in 2017 in Malmö, Sweden, by the circular cloth-repair start-up Repamera AB. They played “the opposite game” with Black Friday and saw the need for a day that promotes circular consumption. From 2017-2019 it was called White Monday, but changed “White” to “Circular” during 2020 to make the message of the movement more clear.
Look at it this way. A tree grows and grows until it reaches a certain height, just like most economies on this earth the last century. After the growth is complete and the foundation of the tree is set, it becomes as resource efficient as it can be. Water and nutrition circulates around to keep the tree alive. With this said, why grow cotton & produce new clothes, when we already have billions of tons in landfill?
In a similar way as trees, first our economies grew, now we have to be efficient with the resources that’s already been produced. In this manner, circular economy is the natural follow-up to a linear economy.
Just like a tree - see?
Everyone who works with Circular Monday (PR, the website, graphics, initiating in new countries etc.) does it completely voluntarily. Also, our 500+ buddies do this toghether with us. Everyone shares the same message, the same day: The future is circular! Thanks everyone, you’re great!
Aand, just one last thing. We have never, and will never, accept money in exchange for exposure, ads, nor sell any data. We don’t even track cookies, you monster!
Circular Monday is the shopping day for circular consumption. It always occurs on the monday before Black Friday, so 2021 it's on November 22nd. During the day, all the buddies (organisations, influencers, businesses) shares pictures on social media with the hashtag #circularmonday. Some of the buddies give discounts on circular goods and services. For example, second hand shops give 20% on all their products, aswell as shoe repair services.
Circular Monday started as White Monday, a play of opposites with the mega-sales day “Black Friday”. Black Friday stands for linear, wear & tear consumption and competition. The opposite is circular consumption & collaboration. This year we've swapped white to "Circular" to make it more clear what it's all about.
The world is already full of wardrobes stuffed to the brim, unused tools and huge piles of trash. We have produced enough, and Mother Earth is tired. It’s time for us to take responsibility, and turn the waste into resources.
Show your customers, followers, colleagues and yourself that you want the future to be circular, instead of linear. Take a stand against unnecessary consumption of new things, and re-love what’s already produced. And hey, why not give your customers a circular discount? Many of our buddies had all-time high in sales during last years Circular Monday.
We believe that great impact is created if there’s only one day to focus on. Although some of our buddies choose to have ”Circular Weeks” on their own initiative, which is completely fine. The more circular businesses and campaigns, the better!
That’s great - let’s do it together once a year as well! It will give you more circular buddies to collaborate with!
We have buddies every continent who do both digital and the physical activities. You’ll find stores furnished and employees dressed in white, and social media will be filled with content under the hashtag #circularmonday.
Simply share a photo of yourself, or a group, and share on social media including the hashtag #circularmonday. Try to connect it to reuse, repair or rent, but feel free to be as creative as you want with the photo! Check out our instagram @circularmonday for inspiration.
Awesome! Fill in this form and we'll get back to you.
Remember that this is a place for truly circular companies and you need to follow these simple rules:
- Never market anything under the banner "Black Friday"
- Keep up the good work in making the world a more circular place!
+46 761 469 484
+358 503 286 012
+49 176-8080 6452
We're right now working on automizing this process and improving the buddy-pages.
Meanwhile, use the form below to apply "Circular Monday Buddy". We'll need your logotype, a short sentence of your business and a link to your website. We'll get back to you if there's something missing.
The rules to join are quite simple:
1. Never market anything under the label "Black Friday" or "Black Week".
2. You are only allowed to promote circular offers. This means your offer have to fit one of these: Rent, Repair or Reuse.
3. Share atleast one picture on your social media channels with the hashtag #circularmonday on November 23rd.